We have similar boats at each location. You don’t have to waste your valuable vacation time re-learning because each boat is the same. Our local knowledge will present the best in local sailing fun. Restaurants, scenic opportunities, historical venues and local boating sites will all be available for your reference. The local cruising area is detailed and routes and waypoints are available for the GPS chart plotter.
- Our Hunter 23.5s are our “basic trainer” sailboat. The smaller sails, rigging and loads make the H23.5 easy to learn and sail. Sailing professionals agree that all sailors should learn on small sailboats. The larger the sailboat the more stable, which feels like “driving a bus”. The tiller provides instant response to inputs so you can understand weather helm and wind forces....
- Our Hunter 29.5 is the "all around" sailboat. Not too big and not too small. We have sailed them up the East Coast as far North as NYC and have spent months in the Florida Keys. It's a very different design with only one door on the head compartment, all the rest is open giving maximum room. ...
All charter rates are subject to state sales tax. Sailboats and rates are based upon availability and subject to change without notice. Weekends and holidays may be at a higher rate.
While we are great dog and cat lovers, pets are NOT allowed aboard SmarterSail vessels.
To reserve or use SmarterSail boats you must:
be 25 years old have executed the Rental Agreement and paid all moneys due SmarterSail.
hold ASA 101 (Basic Keelboat) and/or equivalent, recent training/experience is required for day charters for the Hunter 23.5. Day charters are for daylight hours and may include overnight at dock at a marina.
- hold ASA 103 (Basic Coastal Cruising) and/or equivalent, recent training / experience is required for day charters for the Hunter 295.
hold ASA 104 (Bareboat Chartering) and/or equivalent training/experience to charter the Hunter 295 overnight away from the base.
- ASA certificates to be provided by Renter and a copy kept on file with SmarterSail.
- have successfully completed the on-the-boat familiarization and checkout.
If the charter is cancelled by us due to impending weather, I.e. a pending major storm or the boat is unavailable due to damage or maintenance; we will gladly re-book your charter at the next available opportunity with no penalty.
All of our locations offer the ability to sail in heavy weather, up to 20 knots, and anything less than a wind advisory 20+ knots can be sailed successfully. Usually, wind advisories of 20 knots or greater last less than 24 hours. Subject to availability, and at additional expense, we can provide you with a Captain to teach you heavy weather sailing.
On the other hand, if you are required to cancel due to personal circumstances, it must be recognized that we may lose the charter income for the period if we are unable to re-book the boat on very short notice. Thus, if the charter is cancelled more than 30 days in advance, we will rebook without penalty. A cancellation of less than 30 days notice will result in forfeiture of your days. SmarterSail management will be the sole arbiters of this decision.
On-the-boat familiarization and check-out is required for each sailboat model rented. This checkout is typically 2-4 hours and covers the operation of the sailboats, equipment and sailing area. This is not sailing instruction. If additional time is required for proficiency it will be charged at the standard rates. Sailors who receive their ASA certification from SmarterSail will be qualified to charter our boats with an abbreviated checkout based on proficiency.